Muddy Lake

Muddy Lake, near Ravenna, was the site of the Youngstown YMCA's first attempt at a summer camp for area youth around 1900. This first attempt was temporary in nature. Over the next few years, the camp moved to the Grand River between Orwell and Ashtabula, then to the shore of Lake Erie between Saybrook and Geneva-on-the-Lake.

In 1914, the trustees decided to make summer camp a permanent policy. The first permanent site was at Cannon's Mill, then West Point in 1918, both on the Little Beaver River. 32 campers attended in the summer of 1914. This is considered the first year of the camp that would become “Camp Fitch.”

Approximate location of first temporary site.

Print/export