Kane Lodge

Kane Lodge

As it appeared in the Silver Jubilee Booklet in 1939.

Also known as “The Old Dining Hall,” Kane Lodge was the second dining facility at Camp Fitch's present location and named after Thomas Kane, a YMCA Trustee. It was built in 1930 from local wood and materials and was designed to seat 200 people. Kane Lodge was one of the first buildings built specificly for Camp Fitch. The cook's quarters, Director's Quarters, and camp offices were located upstairs. McCleary Lodge was built at the same time. The architect was Wilbert Shaffer of Schelbel and Shaffer.[1] The cost of construction was $16,000.[2]

Prior to its completion, meals were served at the original Samuel Holliday Homestead. This building is still standing and has since been returned to the Holliday Family.

"Curly" Johnson was camp director at the time. Assistants included: James Rayen, Al Roberts, George Tod, and James Williams.

NOTE: The phrase “the old dining hall” has also been used earlier in camp's history to refer to the Holliday Homestead that was used as the first dining hall at the current site. Any references to “the old dining hall” prior to the creation of Skeggs Dining Hall, more than likely would refer to the Homestead. Today, the colloquialism refers to Kane Lodge.

Improvements

A new kitchen was built in 1968.

Under the leadership of Bill Lyder, a five year funding campaign in 1970s allowed for the winterization of Kane Lodge and the addition of porches in 1975. New freezers, stoves, and ovens were added. This same funding drive allowed for the winterization of McCleary, the building of a new horse barn, maintainence shed, and the McPhee Pool.

It was repaired again in the 1980s as part of a 5 year $565,000 capital campaign chaired by Thomas Cleary. This campaign also helped repair Agler Lodge, McCleary, and build Glen Oaks Lodge.

Today

Kane Lodge was added onto and improved in 2005. It is now Skeggs Dining Hall. After this addition, candy line was moved from the southwest corner of Kane Lodge to inside the dining area.

Memorible Moments and Trivia

Bill Lyder's car was placed inside Kane Lodge on more than one ocassion in the middle of the night.

The Banana Tree was located just north of Kane Lodge and was used for many staff meetings.

In the late 1990s and early 2000s, the freezer that held ice cream could be very easily pryed open with a butter knife, even though it remained locked.

See Also

1. a The Vindicator, September 8, 1930. Dedicate Fitch Memorials. Youngstown Vindicator, pp.4.
2. a The Vindicator, July 2, 1930. First 100 Boys to go to Camp. Youngstown Vindicator, pp.22.
Print/export