Jonathan Warner

Jonathan Warner was the YMCA President in the 1910s. He personally accepted the $5,000 check from John H. Fitch to purchase the West Point Camp Site and was one the first to advocate for changing the name of Camp Ot-Yo-Kwa to Camp John. H. Fitch.[1]

Jonathan was born in Mineral Ridge on August 2, 1867 to Mr. and Mrs. Jacob Warner. He grew up in Denver and Youngstown. He attended Rayen High School. He built the Struthers Sheet Mill in 1895 and operated it until US Steel purchased the mill in 1900. He would go on to found and run the Trumbull Steel Mill and become President of the Youngstown YMCA. He also operated a cattle farm near Maryvale and was a member of the Youngstown Club. He helped found the Butler Museum of Art in 1919 and in 1923 he declined the nomination to run for Mayor. His company fell into receivership and was acquired by Republic Steel. He left Youngstown and went aboard for a few years before settling in Philadelphia. He died from illness on May 5, 1934 and his body was returned to Youngstown.[2][3]

References

1. a Youngstown Vindicator, September 3, 1918. Gives $5,000 for Camp Site. Vindicator Printing Company.
2. a Butler, Joseph G. Jr., 1921. History of Youngstown and the Mahoning Valley, Ohio; Volume 2. Chicago and New York, American Historical Society, pp.278.
3. a Youngstown Vindicator, May 7, 1934. Jonathan Warner, Trumbull Steel's Founder, is Dead. Vindicator Printing Company.
Print/export