Eddie Farrell Memorial Telescope

This $2,500, 12“ telescope was donated to Camp Fitch by Mr. and Mrs. Thomas E. Farrell, in memory of thier son in 1931. Thaddeus G. Beede built the telescope in his basement, it was mounted on white sandstone next to McCleary Lodge. In the 1960s, the telescope was moved off its base and placed near the present location of the Chicagmi Cross. Growing trees had obstructed the view from McCleary. A bell now sits on top of the sandstone monument, replacing the telescope.[1] The telescope was still in operation through the summer of 1983.

References

1. a The Vindicator, July 28, 1981. Years Ago. Youngstown Vindicator, pp.8.
Print/export